What are the Benefits of Removing Old Attic Insulation in Toronto
Published on December 11, 2018
Winter isn’t just coming - it’s here, and it’s time to think about removing old attic insulation in Toronto to make sure that you and your family aren’t suffering the effects of outdated or insufficient insulation. If you haven’t upgraded your insulation in the last 15 years, it’s likely time for a change. If you have common household problems like drafts, cold spots, or mold growth, the problem is very likely old insulation - and the easiest solution is new insulation installation.
Why Do You Need to Think About Removing Old Attic Insulation in Toronto?
You’re probably going to find insulation in many neighbourhoods across Toronto that is old and isn’t providing homeowners with much protection from the hot summers and cold winters that we experience here in southern Ontario. Getting rid of old attic insulation in Toronto will get rid of deteriorating or underperforming insulation that’s been affected by issues like:
- animal or insect infestations
- excessive moisture
- damage caused by construction or disturbances
These problems don’t just affect your insulation - they can affect your whole home, from the way your furnace runs to the longevity of your roof. Professional attic insulation removal is a key step in making your home more energy efficient - and while it’s thought of as a big job, the benefits it brings are big too (but more on that in the next section).
The Benefits of Removing Old Insulation
Removing old insulation in Toronto is a savvy investment in your home’s energy efficiency, longevity, indoor air quality, and safety. Because many of the homes in Toronto are over 30 years of age and haven’t seen much attention to the attic, we often find ourselves in attics with minimal or outdated insulation. Building practices and materials have taken a great leap forward during that time and the simple act of removing old attic insulation in Toronto can have a huge affect on your entire home. The major benefits of removing old insulation are:
- Increased energy efficiency: New insulation brings a greater energy efficiency to your home because it almost always has a greater R Value and therefore does a better job at keeping heat in (or out!). When we install new insulation, we give your attic a thorough inspection, which helps us pinpoint cracks or gaps that allow your warm air to escape.
- Better indoor air quality: We spend upwards of 90% of our day indoors, making our indoor air quality an important factor in our health and wellness. Poor indoor air quality can be greatly improved by removing old attic insulation in Toronto, which can often harbour mold spores or other allergens.
- Better resell value: Insulation is an investment that has great returns when it comes to reselling your home. By choosing to replace your old attic insulation, you make your home more attractive to future buyers.
- Lowers your utility bills: The other side of increased energy efficiency is lower monthly bills. Improving your insulation has a direct effect on your monthly heating and cooling costs because old insulation is like wearing your spring coat in February - it doesn’t do much to keep the heat in and the weather out!
- Improved health: Old insulation often suffers from common problems like rodent infestation, mold growth, or contamination with substances like asbestos. By removing unsafe insulation, we not only help you start with a clean slate, but also help prevent the transmission of dangerous diseases or bacteria.
The Benefits of New Insulation
When you are removing old attic insulation in Toronto, the benefits of new insulation are often felt immediately, and homeowners can be quite surprised by the changes! Some of the benefits of new insulation include:
- Greater sound blocking: New insulation helps insulate your home from noise too, and can cut down on the noise pollution from nearby roads, schools, or shopping centres, making for a more peaceful environment.
- Preventing moisture damage: Heat rises, which makes your attic the collecting point for all the hot, humid air in your home, which can lead to mold damage, rust, or wood rot. Next time it snows, look around the neighbourhood - roofs that are suspiciously free of snow likely have a heat problem in their attic that new insulation could help solve.
- Better longevity from your appliances: New insulation also helps to ensure your home’s major appliances aren’t running overtime. Better insulation equals better heat retention, which helps to reduce the strain on your furnace or air conditioning unit. Less strain equals fewer maintenance calls and less wear and tear - win win!
The Insulation Removal Process
If it’s time to remove your old attic insulation, the process is likely going to look like this:
- The EcoComfort team will arrange for an opportunity to assess your attic and meet you and your family. This assessment will determine your goals and needs as well as identify any problem areas in your attic or things that need improvement.
- After we schedule a removal and installation date, our teams will arrive and safely and thoroughly remove any old insulation that’s present, thoroughly cleaning the space to prevent the transmission of any allergens.
- Once your attic is clear, we go over it with a fine toothed comb, sealing any cracks or gaps, and allowing the opportunity for any necessary repairs or retrofits.
- New insulation is installed, we do a final check and clean up, and you’re ready to go!
Working With EcoComfort for a Better Home
As trusted experts in the home insulation field in Toronto and the GTA, the EcoComfort team is serious about what we do. As homeowners, we know how daunting big home improvement projects can be, so we make sure you’re thoroughly comfortable with your options, the process, and our materials before we start. Hiring a professional ensures that your insulation removal is thorough, complete, and environmentally sound; as residential insulation specialists, we have a unique insight into the needs of homes, big and small. For any questions regarding removing old attic insulation in Toronto, get in touch with our team at 416-333-4554 or online at https://www.ecocomfortinsulators.ca/contact - we’d be happy to tell you more about how you can improve your home.