The Effects of Delayed Attic Roof Leak Repair
Published on May 25, 2022
As a homeowner, you should feel confident that your roof will hold up against changing weather elements. Whether it's a small leak or significant structural damage, it is vital to have reputable insulators and contractors address damage with professional attic roof leak repair issues to prevent further deterioration and other problems spreading around your home. Finding an insulation company in Toronto that is professional, creditable, and cost-effective is desired by all property owners. Our team at EcoComfort provides experienced and knowledgeable inspection, repairs, tune-ups, and roof replacement.
Proper ventilation in your attic is crucial to the performance as it helps remove excess heat and moisture that can otherwise severely damage your home. Excess heat and humidity can be caused by simple activities like cooking, showering, and doing laundry, as they all release heat and moisture into your home's air. Poor ventilation compromises your attic and raises the cost of insulation.
Most Common Causes of an Attic Roof Leak
Attic roof leaks can start due to many reasons, such as improper roof installation, low maintenance, and weather damage. It is essential to fix the problem as soon as possible to prevent future damage. The best way to go about attic roof leak repair is by contacting a reputable insulation company in Toronto such as the attic experts at EcoComfort.
- Broken or Damaged Shingles: Broken or damaged shingles usually occur due to uncontrollable weather conditions, e.g., high winds, hailstorms, high sun rays, and snow.
- Ice Damming: Ice damming occurs when a ridge of ice forms at the edge of your roof, preventing melting snow from draining off the top. Water can back up behind the dam and leak into a home, damaging walls, ceilings, and insulation.
- Deteriorating Insulation: Due to age, excessive moisture, pests, and ice dams, your insulation can become damaged. It is common for these things to occur but hard for the average person to notice, whereas experienced roofers can spot deteriorating insulation.
- Rusting of Attic Fasteners: If you notice that the fasteners in your attic are rusting, that's a sign that there could be excess moisture in your attic. Metal items in your attic, such as roofing straps, HVAC components, and electrical systems, should be rust-free.
Effects of Delaying a Roof Leak Repair
You should not overlook a roof leak - damage to your roof can result in many repercussions, including:
- Mold & Mildew: Did you know that mold can start growing in as little as 24 hours? One of the most concerning effects of roof leak damage is the spread and growth of mold and mildew through the attic and roof cavity. Mold and mildew can cause poor air quality distributed throughout the home.
- Higher Repair Costs: If you avoid maintenance on your roof, you will spend more money over time as there will be damage to other parts of the home. Instead of ignoring the problem of finding a cheap, short-term solution, it's crucial to tackle it immediately.
- Increased Property Damage: When a leak goes unrepaired, it can damage other areas in your home. There could be damage to roof decking, insulation, drywall, or electrical wiring inside your home when it rains.
- Structural Issues: When water gets inside, it leads to issues with the structure of your roof and home. Water tends to follow the path of least resistance and can soak your home if it's not stopped.
Trust EcoComfort for your Attic Roof Leak Repairs
We are a highly experienced team that offers the professional attention you deserve. In Toronto or throughout the Greater Toronto Area, EcoComfort provides exceptional results for a cost-effective price.